Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review: The Goddess Test

Title: The Goddess Test
Series: Goddess Test #1
Author: Aimée Carter
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Genre: YA Fantasy/Romance
Pages: 293
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5 cubes of sugar!
Buy: Amazon | The Book Depository

Summary:
EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN. 

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS
(Taken from Goodreads)

Review:
An engaging, interesting, and wholly entertaining new take on Greek Mythology. The Goddess Test is a book I can't believe I haven't read before now! Aimée Carter did an excellent job of keeping me guessing, I honestly didn't expect any of the twists, and boy where they good ones!

The characters were all interesting and very well developed. I found Kate to be a great narrator, despite her rather depressing situation over the last four years of her life. She's strong and tries to keep a somewhat hopeful outlook on things. Henry, I just wanted to pat the poor boy on his darling head. "Dark and tortured" is an apt description for him and everything that happened in his past with Persephone (if you know Greek Myths this isn't a spoiler) just had me rooting for him to get together with Kate even more. He was moody and mysterious, but who doesn't like moody, mysterious guys?! James, though he's not around much, was one of my other favorite characters and Ava...well, I found her annoying for most of the book but I find most characters with her personality annoying (don't worry, she gets better in the end). She's a really good friend to Kate and for me that was her redeeming quality.

The story itself covers a little over six months and in that time there are quite a few lulls where routine sets in. These lulls were handled well, in terms of writing, and you never get bored. You get just enough information to keep you reading while not giving away too much. That ending! And the council! I didn't see that one coming! (Don't worry, I won't spoil it)

Overall it was a great read that I couldn't put down (literally) and an interesting modern twist on ancient Greek myths. Definitely pick this one up!

3 comments:

  1. hmmm...I've been wondering whether or not to pick this one up, but it definitely sounds like something I'd like! Thanks for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book sitting on my shelf that I need to get to. Great review. It sounds really good and character drive which I love.

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments! And while we may not have time to respond to every one, we do read and appreciate them all.